ANYTHING GOES REVIEW

More stories from Ruth Lubao

SUMMER FUN
June 12, 2017

More stories from Samantha Pearce

SUMMER FUN
June 12, 2017

Ahoy, matey! The musical, Anything Goes, welcomed the SCPA community to come on board and enjoy the show, directed by Mr. Bill Doyle and choreographed by Ms. Roxanne Carrasco, and performed April 12th-22nd.

Anything Goes first premiered on November 21st, 1934 in the Alvin Theatre, New York City. It is an original Broadway musical comedy with music and lyrics created by Cole Porter, an American composer. The version that was performed here was first produced at the Lincoln Center Theater in 1987.

Billy Crocker, has sneaked onto the boat to win over his true love, Hope Harcourt. To Billy’s dismay, Hope is soon to be married to the wealthy englishman Sir Evelyn Oakleigh. Moonface Martin, Public Enemy #13, is hiding on the boat from the Ship’s Captain and pursers. Later on in the play, Moonface and Reno devise a plan to make Sir Evelyn look like a cheater. Reno arrives at his room and tries to seduce him but Oakleigh was oblivious to the whole charade. In the final scenes, all the troubles are resolved and several characters come to decisions about their relationships.

The actors stayed in focus, were classy and proper, and maintained precise accents throughout the play. Some scenes were goofy and made the crowd chuckle. Most characters had sarcastic personalities, but others were serious or self-centered. The music sounded like the 30’s, extremely jazzy, jolly and upbeat. The singers sang with wonderful, full voices and were on tune. However, on the sailor scene, their voices were not as in sync with one another.

The costumes were fancy and professional, suits and dresses. The outfits were old fashioned, but they altered it to look more modern. The sailor suits were causal and realistic. The choreography was mostly casual but the actors made it interesting.

Dancing scenes frequently occurred between Billy Crocker, Hope Harcourt and Reno Sweeney. It resembled elegant ballroom dancing. The ending dance scene was the most interesting. All the actors lined up facing towards the audience and performed an entertaining tap dance. The beat of the taps corresponded with one another and created a lovely tone for the audience to move with the groove.

ANYTHING GOES REVIEW