DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LONG HAUL REVEW

Zoo-Wee-Mama! The recent Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie, The Long Haul, opened on May 19th. The movie tells the story of how Greg Heffley wishes for the perfect summer, but his plans are ruined when his mother forces him (along with the rest of his family) to go on a technology-free road trip to visit their Meemaw in Indianapolis, Indiana. Meanwhile, Greg plots to sneak away to a convention to meet his favorite youtuber, Mac Digby, in hopes of erasing Greg’s reputation of being “diaper hands.” And throughout all that, Greg found himself an enemy,  “Beardo.”

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the movie made $17,894,397 in the box offices. The film has been ranked #47 in Most Discussed Movie of 2017 and #96 Most Shared Movie of 2017 according to Metacritic, but received negative reviews due to the lack of new content. However, critics praise its humor, regardless of it being terrible as a whole.

This movie sparked a lot of controversy while fans of the franchise anticipated opening day. This was caused by the complete recasting of characters, but most of this anger towards the new cast was directed to Charlie Wright who was casted as everyone’s dream emo boy, Rodrick Heffley. People on social media have stated that the portrayal of Rodrick has been flawed with the casting of Wright, as there is a huge difference between the original Rodrick portrayed by Devon Bostick and the Rodrick portrayed by Wright.

Overall, the movie offered humor that the target audience would find hilarious, but many parts of the movie were  scattered, as it ranged from the comedy the producers intended, to random moments of sentiment displayed by the Heffley family. The jokes were subpar and could be described as corny, but would really only be funny to a middle school and an elementary school audience. For those seeking a quality movie, they may be extremely disappointed. To put it bluntly, the script is poor and the acting is worse.

In the end it became an over-the-top family road trip movie that ended up turning for the worse, which isn’t anything new in the movie franchise. For example, the concept of the bearded man constantly following Greg had no real substance. It seemed to be just filler to lengthen a movie that could have been a short film. What would have been interesting is if the bearded man was also attending either the convention or Meemaw’s 90th birthday as a plot twist, as it made no sense that the Heffleys and the bearded man’s family were both heading towards the same path throughout the entire movie.

Compared to the original movies, Rodrick was especially inconsistent, switching from a mean bully, to someone who seemed like he had an IQ of 70, to a thoughtful older brother, which isn’t what Rodrick is portrayed to be in the previous movies and novels. As for the rest of the characters, they appear forced, as the execution wasn’t played with ease and caused the entire cast to look joyless. The movie seemed to rely on the audience to be too young to realize how poorly executed the characters and jokes were. A casual Diary of the Wimpy Kid fan who was a fan of the books or someone who went for nostalgic reasons would be let down by the plot holes.

The movie might’ve been horribly tacky, but we would recommend this movie for those who appreciate dumb memes. Consequently, people on social media seem to agree that they too, would go and watch it again without any doubts. Despite the movie being so horrible to the point where it almost seemed like a joke, it still turned out to be very entertaining.

• DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LONG HAUL REVEW

Opinion/Editorial

HOW TO BE ORGANIZED

Opinion/Editorial

ARE LIVE ACTION DISNEY MOVIES WORSE THAN THEIR ANIMATED COUNTERPARTS

Opinion/Editorial

‘13 REASONS WHY’ SPARK’S CONVERSATION

Opinion/Editorial

DONALD TRUMP CAN TEACH US TO SPEAK BETTER

• Opinion/Editorial

WHY SKATERS CAN SHUT UP ABOUT THRASHER

• Opinion/Editorial

ANYTHING GOES REVIEW

• Majors

BEHIND THE CURTAIN: TECH MAJORS CRY OUT FOR RECOGNITION

• Opinion/Editorial

WHY WON’T THE GRAMMY’S ACKNOWLEDGE BLACK SUCCESS?

Opinion/Editorial

YOUR HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP DOESN’T MATTER

Opinion/Editorial

TIME TO THROW OUT THE CRAYONS