IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Liliana Sheppard, Editor-in-Chief

Director: David Robert Mitchell

Writer: David Robert Mitchell

Starring: Bailey Spry, Daniel Zovatto, Jake Weary, Keir Gilchrist, Lili Sepe, Linda Boston, Maika Monroe, Olivia Luccardi, Ruby Harris.

Release Date: March 27, 2015

Run Time: 100 min

Genre: Mystery; Horror

It Follows possesses the simplicity of an urban legend, paired with a haunting, anxiety filled plot and an eighties synth-based soundtrack. It is a creative thriller that leaves behind what recent horror films have been using: jump scares; and instead, focuses on an eerie, dreamlike atmosphere that tends to exploit the fear of the inevitable.

Set in a small town outside of Detroit, Michigan, the film points it’s attention to teenagers, which includes the heroine, Jay(Maika Monroe),  who finds herself as the new target of ‘It’–the shape shifting creature that follows– after a sexual encounter with her latest boyfriend Hugh(Jake Weary). Hugh (Weary) warns Jay (Monroe) of the ‘It’, telling her that it will follow Jay until it gets to her. ‘It’ doesn’t run, ‘It’ walks, and will shift into anyone she knows just to get to her. Hugh then leaves Jay by her house with a final warning, “It doesn’t think. It doesn’t feel. It doesn’t give up.” The simple setup of how ‘It’ works in the film allows for the plot to progress where the ‘It’ will be.

Neither Jay (Monroe) nor the audience knows where ‘It’ is or what it looks like, which creates a subtle anxiety in each scene, because all the characters have the possibility of being ‘It’. The feeling of dread begins to form at the bottom of your stomach as the film moves on and the vague synth tracks begin to become more intense. The last hurrah–or it is believed to be– of ‘It’ was a trap made by Jay (Monroe) and her friends for ‘It’, at a community pool. When ‘It’ saunters in, Jay (Monroe) is struck in fear, because ‘It’ has taken the form of her father. Jay’s friends rush to throw things at ‘It’ while the creature attempts to get to Jay (Monroe). The audience by now is sitting on the edge of their seat as the synth takes on deeper and more staccato tones, and Jay’s friends can’t seem to stop ‘It’. However, it all ends when ‘It’ is shot in the head twice and falls into the pool. It is presumed that the fight is over as blood taints the clear water of the pool.

Life resumes back to normal for Jay (Monroe) and her friends. As the film closes, Jay (Monroe) is slowly walking down her neighborhood street. All seems well, until the camera focuses on a form behind her, and the movie abruptly ends. The audience has no way of knowing what happened to Jay (Monroe) or if ‘It’ survived, which is what makes the movie such a successful thriller/horror film. It Follows brings a timeless and creative aspect to horror that hasn’t been seen for a while, producing an extremely impressionable film overall.

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

Your High School Relationship Doesn’t Matter

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

Time To Throw Out The Crayons

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

ROGUE ONE HITS

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

MOANA SOUNDTRACK REVIEW

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

MOANA REVIEW

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK: THE SHOW TO WATCH

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

END OF SEMESTER STRESS

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

SCPA FEELS THE BLUES

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

IMBALANCE IN THE ACADEMY DEMOGRAPHICS

• IT FOLLOWS (2015)

Opinion/Editorial

JOURNEY OF SELMA

IT FOLLOWS (2015)