IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Royce Gonzalez, Student Journalist

Every year 8th grade students audition to get into SCPA for high school. Since SCPA isn’t a private school, the whole process of being interviewed and auditioned seems like a nonessential affair, but it does serve an important role in the identity of SCPA.

“I think the whole idea of auditioning is cool. I mean they want you to audition to see what your talents are and there are only a limited amount of slots for people in high school,” says Harmony Hernandez, who is auditioning in Musical Theatre. Even admission into SCPA’s middle school is based off a lottery system. But students auditioning for the high school program are selected very carefully by a panel consisting of the Artistic Director and other teachers and staff members, based on their capability as artists, an interview, and a letter of intent written during the audition. Some believe the audition process isn’t necessary.

“I kinda just think it’s dumb,” claims 8th grader, Maya Bagsic. who is auditioning in the dance program. Some students don’t feel like this process is fair to many students, even if they feel confident in their abilities and expect a good outcome. Cutting out good students for a poor audition seems unfair to them. But the purpose it serves is bigger than cutting down on school population. Artistic Director, Richard Trujillo says that SCPA wouldn’t be an art school without the audition process. Trujillo along with a panel of other teachers and staff members

“If we didn’t have auditions, then every student could attend SCPA, and then so why does it have to be the School of Creative and Performing Arts?” Trujillo asks. Every school offers elective classes such as drama, art, and band, but SCPA is meant for those students who are serious about their art. SCPA’s intention is to provide training for the serious student who wants to pursue their art after they graduate. Some students have went on to have careers in television after departing from the school. The artistic director in charge of these auditions fittingly ends all of his emails with a quote from Bono from U2. “…here’s your moment, now what are you gonna do with it.”

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Majors

SCPA Lyrical: A New Creative Writing Publication

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

PEOPLE ARE ‘CHILLIN’ FOR WINTER BREAK

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

ASB Revamps Coffee House

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Features

JYP ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES A NEW SURVIVAL TRAINEE SHOW

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Uncategorized

POPULAR KOREAN BOY BAND RELEASES THEIR LONG AWAITED COMEBACK

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

NEW FACE ON THE BLOCK: CARTOON CORNER

• School/Community

WHY THE PSAT IS CRUCIAL

IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN