IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Royce Gonzalez, Student Journalist

Every year 8th grade students audition to get into SCPA for high school. Since SCPA isn’t a private school, the whole process of being interviewed and auditioned seems like a nonessential affair, but it does serve an important role in the identity of SCPA.

“I think the whole idea of auditioning is cool. I mean they want you to audition to see what your talents are and there are only a limited amount of slots for people in high school,” says Harmony Hernandez, who is auditioning in Musical Theatre. Even admission into SCPA’s middle school is based off a lottery system. But students auditioning for the high school program are selected very carefully by a panel consisting of the Artistic Director and other teachers and staff members, based on their capability as artists, an interview, and a letter of intent written during the audition. Some believe the audition process isn’t necessary.

“I kinda just think it’s dumb,” claims 8th grader, Maya Bagsic. who is auditioning in the dance program. Some students don’t feel like this process is fair to many students, even if they feel confident in their abilities and expect a good outcome. Cutting out good students for a poor audition seems unfair to them. But the purpose it serves is bigger than cutting down on school population. Artistic Director, Richard Trujillo says that SCPA wouldn’t be an art school without the audition process. Trujillo along with a panel of other teachers and staff members

“If we didn’t have auditions, then every student could attend SCPA, and then so why does it have to be the School of Creative and Performing Arts?” Trujillo asks. Every school offers elective classes such as drama, art, and band, but SCPA is meant for those students who are serious about their art. SCPA’s intention is to provide training for the serious student who wants to pursue their art after they graduate. Some students have went on to have careers in television after departing from the school. The artistic director in charge of these auditions fittingly ends all of his emails with a quote from Bono from U2. “…here’s your moment, now what are you gonna do with it.”

• Features

PET STORES ONLY TO SELL RESCUED ANIMALS

• Features

SUMMER FUN

• Features

BODY ROCK JUNIORS HOLDS 6th ANNUAL DANCE COMPETITION

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Features

ENJOY THE SAN DIEGO COUNTY FAIR!

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

STUDENTS WHO WERE HERE FROM BEGINNING TO END

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Features

K-POP BOOMS ACROSS AMERICA

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Majors

UNDERSTANDING WHAT GOES ON IN CHOIR CLASS

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

MIDDLE SCHOOLERS HARASS LGBTQ+ STUDENTS

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

School/Community

8TH GRADERS SET FORTH INTO THEIR FRESHMAN YEAR

• IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

Features

TIPS AND TOOLS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY AND STRESS

IT’S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN