GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

Edward Estrada with Tyler Oakley and two other attendees. Photo by Edward Estrada.

Perla Limon, Student Journalist

On October 21st, 2016, the leader of the GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance ) club, Edward Estrada,  was flown to Los Angeles for a student advocate of the year award by GLSEN breakdown this acronym because it is not as well known at this school (pronounced “glisten”).  Estrada was elected for the award for taking on LGBT issues in San Diego through involvement in GSA, the school district, and GLSEN’s San Diego Charter.

The GLSEN Respect Awards started in 2004 and is held annually in Los Angeles and New York, showcase the work of students, individuals, and corporations who have made a significant impact on the lives of LGBT youth.

Now that the local GSA has been publicly recognized, questions are being raised regarding what GSA will be doing in the future. Now, more than ever before, the GSA has the spotlight.

“This award shows that we’re a GSA that gets things done, because our leader has gotten such a prestigious title,” says Ace Carpenter, Vice President of GSA. Carpenter continues by explaining that people are going to start to hold GSA in a higher light than before. The publicity also may aid them in their continuous search for sponsors by increasing the amounts of “internet hits” they have, and continue to raise awareness for their cause and beliefs.

Though Estrada’s GSA may now have higher standing, there is also significantly more pressure on the members to participate and push forward the cause of gender-sexuality equality in San Diego County. “We’re going to do a lot more in the community this year,” says Carpenter, “We’ve raised a lot of money that we have set to do different kinds of fundraisers, and charity events, including a trans charity drive, and maybe even a drag show later on in the year.”

The club has been planning several events to raise money for even more events within the community. GSA just finished with Fright Night, in which they had a booth for guests to see and interact with. They are also planning to sell flower crowns sometime in the future, possibly even this school year.

GSA is currently held in Mr. DeDenato’s room (Room 116), every Wednesday after school, or during lunch if it’s a minimum day. GSA is open for anyone looking to aid the community and take part in ongoing events. Be sure to stop by and check it out!

For more information on future events and awards, please visit glsen.org. Join the conversation online at any time after the award ceremony using the Hashtag #RespectAwards. To hear more about future GSA events, contact Edward Estrada at [email protected]

About the Writer
Perla Limon, Editor in Chief
Editor-In-Chief for the school year of 2017-2018 Jack of all trades, lover of all writing formats, Perla A. Limon has attended SCPA since 6th grade. She has written for The Production since 2016 and is back for the school year of 2017-2018 as an Editor-in-Chief (EIC) and contributor alongside Ahnayah Hughes, Isaiah Lynch, and Jennifer...
  • GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

School/Community

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

Majors

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

• GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

GSA REACHING NEW HEIGHTS