ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

"We The People..."

Travis Wise [Flickr]

Travis Wise [Flickr]

"We The People..."

Perla Limon, Student Journalist

On September 16, an assembly was organized in the Florence Johnson Grand Theater to inform young Americans about their constitutional rights. However, some say, the assembly has gotten more and more repetitive, especially to those who have been attending for more than two years and many students now find it difficult and bothersome to pay attention and participate during the presentation.

“Students need to be engaged, it’s sometimes difficult… but probably the biggest thing for those who are upset with the way it was presented, is usually because the speaker is not someone that draws them in, asks questions, or has them taking part…” said Ms. Michelle Cash, the co-head of the history department. She emphasized the importance of making the presentation more applicable to modern day and student’s lives to maximize the level of student engagement.

It’s also important to consider that the presentation took place on a minimum day. Selecting a longer school day for the event would not only extend the time the speaker is permitted but allow for more intricate and inclusive activities throughout, that may interest the students better than a simple speech.

Although it’s difficult to please an entire audience of young adults, the students should at least attempt to actively listen and understand the purpose and lessons held within the presentation. If young Americans fail to know their freedoms, as well as the extent to which those freedoms can protect them, they can be taken from them without their knowing. People’s freedoms are an important element to living in the United States. According to Ms. Cash, Without these freedoms, people are vulnerable to far more dangers, including those who seek to interfere with someone’s right to live and be happy, and those who seek to inflict their ill-will on others.

All over the world people’s rights are being infringed upon and taken away on a daily basis, No matter how happy it seems there’s always someone being hurt by a lack of freedom or human rights “If we allow for one group of people’s freedom to be violated without speaking up, then we may find our own rights and freedoms being violated in the future,” Said Ms. Cash.

However, one may also argue that by interfering with the rights of others we make ourselves weaker. It’s a double-edged sword. By securing others’ freedoms we make them stronger, and if successful make ourselves less targeted, but should we fail it’s a lose-lose situation.

Recognizing the importance of the annual assembly in the present and participating as much as we can so long as it is occurring can potentially lead to beneficial developments for students in Government class and younger high school students. By doing this, citizens further benefit themselves and prepare for the possibility of a darker future in which these rights may not exist, or may become completely altered, with Donald Trump as our president.

Photo Credit: “We The People…” Unaltered Photo by Travis Wise [Flickr]. Some Rights Reserved. <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/photographingtravis/15077691387/in/photolist-wQvVMC-NwpKgY-oYn7mk-oPNe5K-ot4cDV>

Disclaimer: I, a contributor to this website, do not own this photo. It is the property of Travis Wise and will remain that way– likely for all eternity– and I have no intention to claim it as my own in any way.

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

School/Community

CALIFORNIA CATCHES ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Opinion/Editorial

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Features

YOUTUBER STRIKES CONTROVERSY

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Opinion/Editorial

SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Majors

SCPA LYRICAL: A NEW CREATIVE WRITING PUBLICATION

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

School/Community

PEOPLE ARE ‘CHILLIN’ FOR WINTER BREAK

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

• ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

School/Community

ASB REVAMPS COFFEE HOUSE

ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL