SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

Ebonee Rose Cunningham, Assistant Editor of Organization

Photo Credit: Kai De Ocampo

On December 8, 2016, SDSCPA staged their first night
showing of Legally Blonde. Legally Blonde is about a blonde Malibu beauty, Elle Woods. After being dumped by her boyfriend, Warner, Elle then finds her way into Harvard Law, hoping to prove to Warner that she can be the girl he wants. However, she ends up finding out that there’s more to her than anyone expected of her.

This preppy, pink production directed by Rayme Sciaroni and choreographed by Ellen Noll Warkentien was a pleasant surprise. Looking at the thirty-seven actors, I would have never been able to tell who were seasoned actors from those who have never performed in such a dynamic musical.

Junior, Micah Fong, showed how amazing it is for a hard-working actress to put her best foot forward. Her ability to embody Elle Woods was truly impressive. She had the whole audience captivated with her articulation of the quick wit and good nature of the character.

When the audience wasn’t falling in love with heroine, we were fawning over the sweet Paulette Bonaforte played by senior, Anastasia Benavides. The support system that stemmed between Elle and Paulette while trying to get their happily ever after was clear and well received. Benavides had truly outdone herself and left an impression on everyone.

Let’s not forget about senior Christopher Lopez as Emmett Forrest and that chip on his shoulder. The journey he shared with Elle of finding their self-worth was the perfect show of how a friendship can easily turn into love and affection for someone when they believe in you. Christopher could not have been a better leading man and I look forward to continuing to see his work as an actor.

Although there were some tech issues with a few of the actors’ mics throughout the show, they continued to persevere, making the show much more impressive. The band also blew me away with how strong and cohesive they were.

I am truly grateful that I was able to witness the show because…. Any doubts about the way the message would come across was erased when I was able to see the finished product on stage and the love and dedication that was poured into the production.

A note from the director in the show’s playbill, Rayme Sciaroni, said, “‘Legally Blonde’ shows us another thread of an identified stereotype that clearly holds more weight. It is another step in the right direction of sending out the message that we are individually and uniquely valuable in all the ways that we choose to Be.”

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

School/Community

CLASS OF ‘17 SENIORS BID THEIR FINAL GOODBYES

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

School/Community

AP ART HISTORY AND THE FUTURE OF COLLEGE COURSES

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

School/Community

HURRICANES DESERVE MORE THAN SYMPATHY

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

School/Community

WELCOME, NEW TEACHERS OF 2017-2018

• School/Community

SCPA IMPLEMENTS NEW SCHEDULE CHANGE FOR UPCOMING YEAR

• School/Community

SCPA HOLDS DANCE MASTER CLASSES

• Majors

STRESSING OVER FINALS WEEK

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

School/Community

STUDENTS WHO WERE HERE FROM BEGINNING TO END

• SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE

Majors

UNDERSTANDING WHAT GOES ON IN CHOIR CLASS

• School/Community

PRODUCTION OF NEW FACES ENLIGHTENS SCPA

SDSCPA PRESENTS: LEGALLY BLONDE