SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Chad Sparkes

Chad Sparkes

Perla Limon, Denise Mungor, and Michelle Solis

“‘Look, up there in the sky, It’s Santa!’ and I saw a white light and a little red light in the sky… It was obviously a plane, but my uncle was very dramatic… and we just said ‘Oh my god drive faster, drive faster!’ and as soon as we got home my mom laughed and said, ‘that’s the fastest you boys have ever fallen asleep,’” Mr. Sean Coolican said.

Christmas is a holiday based upon the ideals of giving joy, laughter, and gifts to loved ones. Though traditions may vary person-to-person, depending on their upbringing, race, and beliefs, the intent is very much the same. For many students on campus, the prolonged Winter break means spending time with family, being overstuffed with mom’s cooking, and opening up presents on Christmas day. Times have changed drastically and, for better or for worse, it’s critical to reflect on the past.

However we celebrate Christmas, it is the universal time for unity and family. “It’s a time to set your problems aside, just temporarily,” Mr. Coolican said, fondly recalling Christmas. “We always used to go to our grandma’s for our Christmas Eve,” he recalls, “we would have a big dinner and sit around, then we would go home and get ready for Christmas.”

Coolican continues to celebrate Christmas, and he plans to keep it that way. Other teachers on campus celebrate Christmas differently. “We always invite someone that has no family or friends to visit with… the holidays can be really depressing when you don’t have people [loved ones] around you,” Mrs. Melinda Ward said. Bringing in others is what the holidays are all about, and in a year full of unease and anxiety, inclusion is something we need now more than ever.

Teachers aren’t the only ones bringing in the new year with warmth and love. Students share their Christmas experience. Junior Isabelle Campuzano remembers how she would stay up late all night, waiting for Santa Claus. “I’d pray to see fake snow and make little footprints from the chimney. I could tell they used my dad’s shoes because my dad has humongous feet.”

Isabelle’s favorite part of Christmas isn’t the presents or the holiday itself, it’s spending time with friends and family, “Balboa Park, the December Nights. I love going to that, and I love spending time with my friends and giving them presents.”

Along with individual interviews, an SCPA survey recorded how students felt about their annual celebrations. Out of 33 students surveyed, 100% of the students have celebrated Christmas their whole lives and would like to continue the celebration furthermore. Approximately half of the students’ nationality influenced the way they commemorate this holiday.

Freshman Angelie Walker, also mentions the significance of family and friend time during this holiday. According to her, the best part of Christmas is spending time with her friends and family. Angelie states how her Christmas typically plays out, “Waking up early in the morning and shaking my parents awake and going down to spend time together.” For Christmas, loved ones are of the utmost importance in her tradition.

No matter how Christmas is celebrated, enjoying company is key to a “successful” Christmas. No matter what gifts are received, no matter what is served for dinner or what the weather is like, so long as you’re around people who care and you enjoy yourself, then Christmas is a day to recall for years to come.

Photo Credit: “Grand Christmas” Unaltered Photo by Chad Sparkes [Flickr]. Some Rights Reserved. <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/chad_sparkes/15417132834/in/album-72157649366827777/>

• Features

PET STORES ONLY TO SELL RESCUED ANIMALS

• Features

SUMMER FUN

• Features

BODY ROCK JUNIORS HOLDS 6th ANNUAL DANCE COMPETITION

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Features

ENJOY THE SAN DIEGO COUNTY FAIR!

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

School/Community

STUDENTS WHO WERE HERE FROM BEGINNING TO END

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Features

K-POP BOOMS ACROSS AMERICA

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Majors

UNDERSTANDING WHAT GOES ON IN CHOIR CLASS

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

School/Community

MIDDLE SCHOOLERS HARASS LGBTQ+ STUDENTS

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

School/Community

8TH GRADERS SET FORTH INTO THEIR FRESHMAN YEAR

• SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Features

TIPS AND TOOLS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY AND STRESS

SCPA VALUES FAMILY ON CHRISTMAS DAY