YOUR HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP DOESN’T MATTER

Isaiah Lynch, Student Journalist

Teenagers are victims of relentless hormones which drive them into relationships that they otherwise might not even consider. Plenty of people are willing to argue that high schoolers aren’t experienced enough to differentiate between love and lust, however I don’t think that’s true. What I do believe is that relationships in high school are pointless and intended to fail because rarely do high school couples prepare for marriage, which is the original intention behind becoming romantically invested with someone in the first place.

It’s tiresome to hear, but it’s true what is said about unchecked hormones in teenagers. Children in their teens are more susceptible to the persistent hormones that flood their bodies during the early stages of puberty. As a result of this persistence, teenagers are continually pursuing someone to help relieve them of their sexual cravings. Live Strong published an article titled “Testosterone Levels In Teenagers,” which advises that the level of testosterone produced within the teenage body increases by 50 times after puberty. They state that the increase in testosterone triggers behavioral changes and indicates that a teenagers mind “may become essentially consumed by sex.” Many high schoolers find themselves dedicated to relationships with someone who is always available to assist them with their sexual desires, which is why the relationship can be originally considered ingenuine. The brain is commonly not the primary system that makes the decisions, which can be disappointing for the few teens who are actually chasing a romantic investment with someone for reasons that are not purely hormonal.

Not all high schoolers are insincere in their relationship. Some people argue teens are not capable of comprehending love at such a young age, and surprisingly this argument has even been made by people who are still enrolled in high school. It is understandable to question something such as this, when so many teenagers often confuse love and lust. However it is important to recognize that it is impossible for the entire demographic to fail to experience love.

The sincerity of high school love is questioned when they claim to have these feelings yet act like they don’t exist. Cheating while in a relationship, being unkind, and other forms of disrespect are all factors of why teenagers are questioned about whether the feelings they admit to are genuine or not. It is understandable, though, why typical high school behavior such as this decreases the amount of sincerity it is believed someone has while in a relationship; if you don’t appreciate the love you claim to hold for another person seriously enough to avoid relationship endangering behavior, then it really is reasonable to question whether the love you claimed to hold even existed in the first place. But the number of times relationships in high school end because of this carelessly disrespectful behavior further proves why these relationships should not originally begin.

The relationships in high school are needless and dispensable. It’s believed that when you begin a relationship with someone you’re intending to remain with them for as long as possible, however this is a lie that both people in the relationship have come to terms with from the start. Relationships in high school are designed to fail because both parties are not planning on marriage, which is the objective of being in a relationship, meaning that both people have already accepted that their relationship won’t last forever. What’s the point of being in a relationship that you know will eventually end? It’s just a matter of time before you’re already searching for someone new to fulfill your needs. I’m not sure why it is so appealing to some people to begin a relationship that they’re aware is meant to fail sometime in the future.There are potentially the few couples who are interested in pursuing marriage and dedicate themselves towards maintaining their relationship status, however that is uncommon in the majority of high school relationships. It just isn’t worth putting in the effort for something that isn’t meant to last.

There is much to worry about in high school, and pleasing someone else shouldn’t be the first thing on your mind. Between school and extracurricular activities there’s no reason for a teenager to be stressing over problems regarding a relationship. This youthful age will not last forever. You don’t need to be limited to one person when you have the opportunity to explore your likes and dislikes regarding people you’re attracted to as everyone else does the same? It’s amazing to think that there are teenagers who invest themselves in a relationship for excruciatingly long periods of time, when they could’ve been branching out to different people instead of staying sworn to only one. There is plenty of future time to be committed to one person, but you should take time to enjoy the different people you’re surrounded by while you’re still young.

Incessant hormones have targeted many teenagers and brainwashed them into believing that they desire a relationship, a relationship that is unlikely to have any meaning because most of them fail to reach marriage. So, why bother limiting yourself at such a young age when you can decide to live out your high school years single and worry-free?

“Testosterone Levels in Teenagers.” Livestrong, 19 Feb. 2014,

http://www.livestrong.com/article/236521-testosterone-levels-in-teenagers/

• YOUR HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP DOESN’T MATTER

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

Opinion/Editorial

TAKE OFF THAT COSTUME: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION DURING HALLOWEEN

Opinion/Editorial

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (REVIEW)

Opinion/Editorial

IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

HOW TO BE ORGANIZED

Opinion/Editorial

DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LONG HAUL REVEW

Opinion/Editorial

ARE LIVE ACTION DISNEY MOVIES WORSE THAN THEIR ANIMATED COUNTERPARTS

Opinion/Editorial

‘13 REASONS WHY’ SPARK’S CONVERSATION

Opinion/Editorial

DONALD TRUMP CAN TEACH US TO SPEAK BETTER

• Opinion/Editorial

WHY SKATERS CAN SHUT UP ABOUT THRASHER