8TH GRADERS SET FORTH INTO THEIR FRESHMAN YEAR

Arielle Santos

Arielle Santos

Arielle Santos and Mayu Ramos

The end of the year is near! Seniors are getting ready to graduate and eighth graders are preparing for their promotion. Do you know what’s after promotion? Freshman year! Many of our soon-to-be high school students are very excited to have the chance to explore their art further.

Before our eighth grade SCPA students can continue their journey at this school, they have to go through an audition process many describe as nerve-wracking. Angel Sta. Maria, who got in for creative writing, tells us about her time preparing for the audition, “I worked really hard on my resume, and I practiced interviews with my friends. We thought really hard about the questions.” She describes the actual interview as difficult because the stares of the staff caused her to forget her pre-prepared answers, but nothing truly interesting happened during the audition process.

Sometimes things don’t go as smoothly as planned. Jennalyn Domingo got into the musical theater program, but she says she has been practicing for her audition to get into the vocal program since the 7th grade. She went through all the usual pre-audition process in preparation to become a vocal major, but she tells us, “I didn’t get in the first round of auditions, so I had to re-audition, and I didn’t get in again. Then Doyle- he was the one who auditioned me- said that I got on the waiting list. He told me to ask [Artistic Director] Mr. Trujillo where I was. He said that he wanted to accept me for musical theater because I seemed dedicated enough, and I said ‘Well, I don’t really have any experience, but I’m willing to try.’” Domingo also adds that she looks forward to joining several clubs and meeting new people as a freshman.

Unlike Domingo, Valerie Pinto’s audition went smoothly. However, she still felt just as scared as her peers. Pinto said she was unsure of what to do, but once she talked to Mr. Trujillo, she described it as easier than it was before. Another student, Jason Green, got into the dance program with confidence and little difficulty during his audition. He says, “I knew I was gonna get in because the teachers who saw my choreography and audition thought it was very good, and they told me that they thought I was gonna get in.” Although, there was also a slip-up with his audition. Green had choreographed his 30-second solo to Feeling Good by Michael Buble, a jazz-contemporary mix. As he was getting ready to perform, his music messed up and almost shook his self-assurance. Nevertheless, things worked out for him in the end and he was able to get into SCPA for dance. “I’m looking forward to 5-6 ballet, and hopefully 3-4 or 5-6 modern, and the conditioning classes that are supposed to be happening next year,” Green adds.

In total, 550 students have auditioned so far. Of those 550 students, less than half (240 students), were accepted to attend SCPA next year. We wish the best for the rest of the 310 students who did not get in and we congratulate the 240 accepted students!

• 8TH GRADERS SET FORTH INTO THEIR FRESHMAN YEAR

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

School/Community

ASB Revamps Coffee House

Uncategorized

JYP ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES A NEW SURVIVAL TRAINEE SHOW

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

Uncategorized

POPULAR KOREAN BOY BAND RELEASES THEIR LONG AWAITED COMEBACK

School/Community

NEW FACE ON THE BLOCK: CARTOON CORNER

• School/Community

WHY THE PSAT IS CRUCIAL

School/Community

HOW MIDDLE SCHOOLERS ACTUALLY FEEL ABOUT HIGH SCHOOLERS

Features

HALLOWEEN MOVIES FOR YOU TO WATCH THIS YEAR