ARE LIVE ACTION DISNEY MOVIES WORSE THAN THEIR ANIMATED COUNTERPARTS

Jeremy Nuno, Student Journalist

Since March 5th, 2010, Disney has started a new line of live action remakes of their animated movies. The first one brought to life was Alice in Wonderland, which was directed by Tim Burton and starred Anne Hathaway, as Alice. Since then, there have been four other live action Disney films: Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast. There are now more than 20 films planned to be remade in the future with about three already in production, but should they really be made?

Originality is not the only problem with these live action films. Another problem is the lack of musical content. Many original Disney animated films contain one or more catchy songs that the remakes do not include. In the 2015 remake of Cinderella there are no mentions of the famous “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes”.  The 2016 The Jungle Book film included two of the famous songs, “I Wanna Be Like You” and “The Bare Necessities,” but only had them for a short time.

The original animated Disney movies are iconic and memorable, winning many awards for production and music, while these new remakes have none of that. The only live action movie that has won an Oscar is The Jungle Book, for Best Special Effects. Yes, the newest movies do have mesmerizing effects that make you believe that the story could really be in your world, but sometimes CGI just can’t replicate the magic of animation.

While the cartoon films are shorter compared to the live action ones, they still have just the perfect amount of plot, climax, and falling action. New scenes are added with these real movies which bring more exposition but also cause unnecessary parts to be added as well. Old scenes from the original classics are removed to bring more exposition but less story and less iconic moments. The 2010 film, Alice In Wonderland, includes scenes that are not even relevant to the original story that Walt Disney presented back in 1951.

Does Aurora sound like the classic sleeping beauty? Does Belle really look like the Beauty presented to us back in 1991? This is the main problem: you cannot improve a classic that does not need improving.  Although yes, times are getting modern, there is still nothing that can top the original animated movies. Do you want your children to grow up knowing a Disney that Walt Disney himself wouldn’t have wanted, or do you want them to grow up with the same amazing cartoons you saw?

Photo Credit: “disney” Unaltered Photo by Akiva Shapero [Flickr]. Some Rights Reserved. <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/>

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/mil8/2173624051/in/photolist-4j5oGK-M5pU-aZ4GtR-M5qp-6FJABC-M5r6-M5pm-6aGB27-M5qP-6FJAAy-5gzkGz-dRLXK-6FJAC7-6FJACq-6FJADj-5fGhUn-oNcCKU-rvymEq-eH88Lw-7ZTuCM-a1gjJj-a1gjYY-AT5bU3-9ooTRF-9orRWQ-9osfPS-9ooU1B-dRLXj-dRLXp-6tcKKD-5gwdwT-9op3Ji-4ukTup-BhNL-dRLXx-4TbQ1a-9op5SR-9ooNeR-on32m6-nYQsEJ-pjLNro-UJDqry-UGMptu-a7JtEX-oHEFCK-a7MniE-apRhTo-aqfGBe-gSjJv-pniFSW/>

• ARE LIVE ACTION DISNEY MOVIES WORSE THAN THEIR ANIMATED COUNTERPARTS

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

Opinion/Editorial

TAKE OFF THAT COSTUME: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION DURING HALLOWEEN

Opinion/Editorial

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (REVIEW)

Opinion/Editorial

IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

HOW TO BE ORGANIZED

Opinion/Editorial

DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LONG HAUL REVEW

Opinion/Editorial

‘13 REASONS WHY’ SPARK’S CONVERSATION

Opinion/Editorial

DONALD TRUMP CAN TEACH US TO SPEAK BETTER

• Opinion/Editorial

WHY SKATERS CAN SHUT UP ABOUT THRASHER

• Opinion/Editorial

ANYTHING GOES REVIEW