IT (2017) REVIEW

IT Spanish Poster

IT Spanish Poster

IT Spanish Poster

Andrea Hernandez and Elena Sanchez

Stephen King’s classic novel, It, returned to the big screen on September 8th. The film follows a group of kids being terrorized by a shapeshifting entity, who generally appears in the form of a clown known as Pennywise the Dancing Clown, or simply “It.” The film is the first entry to a proposed two-part movie franchise. The film opened to $123.1 million dollars in the US, placing it number one in the box office and making it the second-biggest debut for an R-rated film.

The film stars Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise the Dancing Clown, who was originally played by Tim Curry in the 1990 mini-series. The film is rated the 24th most discussed movie of 2017 on Metacritic and has a freshness level of 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. Many critics and moviegoers alike praise It for being a comedic and thrilling Stephen King horror film. Nonetheless, many students have different opinions of the new film.

Junior Marielle Jingco doesn’t normally watch horror movies, but she thinks It has a lot of enjoyable parts. “What I liked was, even though it was a scary movie, there were a lot of humorous parts that made light of the gore and killing,” Jingco says.

Junior Jean Reyes

Junior Jean Reyes and Jingco both agree that the cast is a great aspect of the film.

“I appreciate that the children look like children in their respective age groups,” Reyes says.

Jingco adds, “I absolutely loved the cast. I think the characters contrasted with each other. I couldn’t think of a better cast, and the acting was great.”

The Losers Club (Image Source: Warner Bros.)

Students agree that the advanced special effects are a big difference from the original 1990 mini-series. Freshman Calina Newall hasn’t seen the original film but states, “I think the more recent one is better because today’s technology has graphics.”

However some think that the special effects took away from the actual acting performances. Reyes states

“The acting was characterized by digital and physical concepts and less on the actor’s talent. The original movie was scarier simply because it was simpler; dodgy makeup, dirty clown, real fear from the actors. The new It just isn’t lit,”. Reyes goes on to say, “Pennywise was made less scary in essence because fear factor relied more on SFX than the acting-portrayal.”

Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise the Dancing Clown (Image Source: Warner Bros.)

Overall, students arrive to the consensus that the new “It” movie has very enhanced graphics compared to the 1990 mini-series, is slightly scary, but is also balanced out with humor.

Junior Marielle Jingco holding an IT poster

Jingco proclaims, “All in all, the movie was less scary than I expected. I mean, I have to sleep with the lights on now, but at least there was no satanic ritual in there.”

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

Prayers at the Circle of the Sun

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

TAKE OFF THAT COSTUME: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION DURING HALLOWEEN

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE (REVIEW)

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

HOW TO BE ORGANIZED

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: THE LONG HAUL REVEW

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

ARE LIVE ACTION DISNEY MOVIES WORSE THAN THEIR ANIMATED COUNTERPARTS

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

‘13 REASONS WHY’ SPARK’S CONVERSATION

• IT (2017) REVIEW

Opinion/Editorial

DONALD TRUMP CAN TEACH US TO SPEAK BETTER

• Opinion/Editorial

WHY SKATERS CAN SHUT UP ABOUT THRASHER

IT (2017) REVIEW