POPULAR KOREAN BOY BAND RELEASES THEIR LONG AWAITED COMEBACK

Lyka Luzano, Student Journalist

(photo from soompi)

On September 18th, 2017,  Bangtan Sonyeondan (BTS), the popular K-pop group who had captured the attention from everyone since the BBMA’s awards, had released their new and awaited album, Love Yourself: Her that has their fan base going wild. especially with their new concept, including the new music style within the album and the beginning of their new chapter.

The group of seven boys had became very popular outside of the kpop community  due to the fact that they were the first Korean boy band to win an award. With the help of their fans, nationally and internationally, this group is the most well known and popular Korean boy band within the Kpop Community.

The idea of Concepts is more so of the theme of the album, with their previous comeback, WINGS which had a concept of each members having their own song, focusing on their idea of their own story.

BTS grew throughout the years, debuting back in June of 2013 with their first album Skool Luv Affair, with many concepts in that, now transitioning into a new concept that had a bright and playful feel. In the album, the song DNA gained the popularity as soon as the album was released. The album sold 455,888 copies!

Love Yourself: Her is the start of the BTS’ new comeback and the beginning of a new era. Since the BBMA’s, the seven boys created the concept of focusing on  each member’s personal story in their album, WINGS. Each member having their own song on the album.Upon the wait for the comeback to be released, fans have been talking about the released teasers for the comeback. With the first released trailer hinting  the idea of the music, ‘Serendipity’ featured the lead vocalist of the group, Jimin Park.

(photo from BTSdiary, Album Version O)

The album has different versions of the photos, Version L,O,V,E having all different themes. Version L consisted of the members in casual but slightly ’sophisticated’ attire. In Version O , the members are in a sun-kissed/ orange colored concept, whereas Version V and E are soon to be released. The album seems to have a bright and playful concept but also holds a deeper meaning to the members which will eventually have fans thinking and putting out their theories on the ideal meaning behind this new comeback.

(photo from Allkpop)

One of the songs in the Album, ‘Best of me’ was co-written by The Chainsmokers, Andrew Taggart. Back at the BBMA’s, BTS had taken a photo with the Chainsmokers, which made the fans assumed that the two would be having a collaboration. Now the collaboration song is featured on their new album.  The song ‘Best of Me’ is supposed to be a mix of BTS and The Chainsmokers musical style, combining both styles of their own music  together to give the same amount of vibe connecting to the two in the collaboration..

Abril Arenas , a junior at SCPA states  “ … They’ve have had concepts lead into other comebacks like the most beautiful moment in life pt. 1, 2 and 3 head into You Never Walk Alone. All the albums talk about love, youth and mental health.”

Regarding their previous music before Love Yourself; Her, Arenas also says,“I can say that as time goes on their music is evolving and becoming better and better.”

As Arenas talks about their previous  music, the most viewed video of  them was the song, Dope with over 379 million views, coming in second was fire with 368 million views, and doing more with their other music which all have different variations. Within 24 hours of releasing the hit song, DNA,  the Music video received over 20 million views and continues to gain more views.

Referring to their previous music as well, Chandany De Jesus, a sophomore at SCPA,says  “Out of all the comebacks, I really liked Blood Sweat and Tears because the aesthetics and songs in the album were nice.”

In De Jesus’s opinion, “the concept would change but the story behind it would still connect.”

Whereas Arenas said that the concepts would lead into other comebacks that they created. Both having the same idea that even with their new comebacks, BTS will still create albums that somehow connect to the previous one.

In the Love Yourself; Her album in the physical copy of the album there are two hidden tracks mentioned by one of the members.

“If you are an Army and we spent time together from 2013, 2014 — they could understand. It’s kind of more special, more closer, to our true hearts.” Rap-monster, the leader of the boyband stated during an interview.

• POPULAR KOREAN BOY BAND RELEASES THEIR LONG AWAITED COMEBACK

Majors

SCPA Lyrical: A New Creative Writing Publication

School/Community

PEOPLE ARE ‘CHILLIN’ FOR WINTER BREAK

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

School/Community

ASB Revamps Coffee House

Features

JYP ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES A NEW SURVIVAL TRAINEE SHOW

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

School/Community

NEW FACE ON THE BLOCK: CARTOON CORNER

• School/Community

WHY THE PSAT IS CRUCIAL

School/Community

HOW MIDDLE SCHOOLERS ACTUALLY FEEL ABOUT HIGH SCHOOLERS