ASB Revamps Coffee House

Elena Sanchez and Andrea Hernandez

Audience members and performers at Coffee House

In past years, Coffee House allowed performers to sign up and show up on their performance date. However, this year performers now need to audition in order to participate. For the audition, performers must sign up, display 30 seconds of their performance in front of judges from ASB, and later find out (through an email or the call board in the counseling office) if they were accepted into Coffee House. This year, Coffee House was held on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of November.

Senior and performer Leticia Delgado expresses her feelings on the new audition system. She says, “I don’t feel like they really had to, but it helps people really work on their performances and commit.”

Junior and performer Paul Chairez, who appeared in multiple Coffee Houses this year adds, “It filters out the people who just want to sign up and not come.”

The performances at Coffee House ranged from stand up comedy to song covers.  Performers spent much time preparing to showcase their talents.

Chairez states, “I performed last year at the coffee house towards the end of the year. I was extremely nervous but the only way to get rid of that is performing. The more I practice in front of people, the less nervous I’ll be.” On the contrary, Delgado says, “I wasn’t nervous this time because I was more comfortable with the song I performed, I knew all the lyrics. I practiced before bed everyday and even in the shower.”

Junior Jackelyn Ambriz, who attended the November 2nd show, comments, “I liked Paul and his friends’ performance. Paul is really good at guitar and I also liked Joshua Penrod and his band. They showed a lot of energy.”

Delgado contributes,  “From what I’ve heard, Pointless Overdose was good. I saw a video of their performance and liked their cover of Weezer. I also really liked the Into the Woods cover.”

Junior Azul Zaragoza also attended the November 2nd show, and states, “I enjoyed coffee house. It was unusual to see people I see in class perform with the talents I never thought they would have.”

In addition, performers were pleased with their performances and expressed hopes of performing in future coffee house dates.

Delgado says, “I would perform again.  It’s very fun doing something outside of my art form and being involved in something at school is always good.”

The audience members also wished to return to future Coffee House dates based on the performances displayed. Zaragoza says, “I’d come back another night, because watching a performance where everyone loves what they’re doing is worthwhile.”

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

Majors

SCPA Lyrical: A New Creative Writing Publication

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

School/Community

PEOPLE ARE ‘CHILLIN’ FOR WINTER BREAK

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

Features

JYP ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES A NEW SURVIVAL TRAINEE SHOW

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

Opinion/Editorial

TURKEY SEASON HAS ARRIVED

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

Uncategorized

POPULAR KOREAN BOY BAND RELEASES THEIR LONG AWAITED COMEBACK

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

School/Community

NEW FACE ON THE BLOCK: CARTOON CORNER

• School/Community

WHY THE PSAT IS CRUCIAL

• ASB Revamps Coffee House

School/Community

HOW MIDDLE SCHOOLERS ACTUALLY FEEL ABOUT HIGH SCHOOLERS

ASB Revamps Coffee House