ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

Students with James Maslow after his surprise for Doyle

Arielle Santos and Alexandria Ramos

On October 20th, the day of our first pep rally and fright night, a very well-known alumnus paid a visit to our campus. James Maslow of Big Time Rush came and planned an elaborate surprise for our former musical theatre teacher, Mr. Doyle, that would later be televised. As students in ASB saw him around campus, he was later on convinced to perform at the pep rally.

As the rumors of a star amongst our campus spread, many students began to build up with excitement. 10th grader Roni Kenefick was allegedly pulled into a crowd of fans eager to meet James Maslow. 9th grader Ryan Arandia waited outside of the library where Mr. Maslow and his crew resided. Arandia tells us, “I really wanted to meet him because when I was in Japan that was like the only American show I would watch.” He describes his experience with him as amazing, also commenting on how much taller he was in person.

9th grader Timothy Adkins was one of the lucky students to perform in front of Maslow in his choir class. Adkins encountered Maslow a second time while the celebrity visited his former dance teacher, Ms. Fetters. Maslow visited  a number of different performing arts classes to see what his past school has been up to. Adkins says Maslow listened to his class sing “Seasons of Love.”

All students interviewed seemed to have a consensus about Maslow’s presence. Initially, he was here just to film a televised surprise, but he ended up also performing his song “How I Like It” for students at S.C.P.A.’s first ever pep rally. It was a huge hit, and rumors of the famous singer performing increased the number of students who attended and the amount of enthusiasm the students showed.

After school, everyone went over the plan and prepared for the actual surprise. Trujillo helped James with the surprise by contacting Doyle to make him believe that there was construction being done in the grand theater and he was needed.  ASB members got to spend most of their day contributing to the surprise. Both ASB and Maslow wrote letters to express their admiration for their former teacher. Trujillo presented James to Doyle as a surprise then a curtain was lifted to reveal the cheering students. James read his letter, expressing appreciation for one of his favorite teachers followed by students who did the same. 

Students were glad to get the opportunity to meet him and see him perform. We, the student body, hope to see him visit again sometime soon.

• ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

School/Community

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

Majors

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE