SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Catherine Mozo and Kaylee Lafon

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, where we not only spend time with the people we love but with thoughtful gifts. We want our loved ones to feel appreciated by getting them the gifts they want. However, some of us don’t have the money (don’t fear!) because you can create some authentic, and thoughtful gifts with household items!

These crafty and cost-efficient solutions can be the key to your friend, teacher, partner, or relative’s heart. Here are six DIYs that are easy and cute, let the DIY tour begin.

The first thing you can make is Rudolph’s Gift  Card. We got this idea from Susan Crabtree, a blogger (http://puertabella.blogspot.com/2009/12/rudolphs-gift-card.html). The tools that you’ll need are:

• Scissors
  • Cardstock
  • Envelopes ( light brown)
  • Glue stick

The first step is to dot the lines for desired antlers, then cut out all of the pieces along the dotted lines and glue antlers and eyes onto the back flap of the envelope. Afterwards, under the flap, open part and lastly glue on the mouth and you have yourself a cute Rudolph’s Gift Card. It’s perfect for leaving a little note or card to your friends and family.

If that doesn’t seem like something you want to do, you can make an Elf Mason Jar.

https://www.polkadotchair.com/2014/11/elf-christmas-mason-jar-gifts.html/  To make this jar you need:

• Elf tags
  • Cardstock
  • Mason Jar
  • Red Baker Twine
  • White Buttons
  • Green Candy (Preferred green M&Ms)
  • Tiny Jingle Bell
  • One Piece of Red Felt
  • Hot glue and glue gun

Fill the jar with green M&Ms then cut a zigzag pattern in the red felt and glue it around the neck of the Mason Jar.  Then add the buttons with the hot glue and tie the tag around the neck of the Mason Jar. If you want to be extra, tie a tiny jingle bell onto to the tag and you have a cute Elf Mason Jar. It’s perfect for the chocolate lovers out there!

Or you can make a Christmas Mug.

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/diy-christmas-mugs/  Here are things you’ll need

• Plain White Mug
  • A little bag
  • Any personal Items
  • Sharpie
  • Red Ribbon

Take your Sharpie and create a design of your choice. Then cook your mug in the oven for 350 degrees for 30 minutes to make the markers permanent on the mug. You take your little bag and add personalized items in the bag, for the final touch you tie the bag with a red ribbon.

You can even make a Candy Christmas Tree!

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/diy-candy-christmas-tree/  Here is what you need!

• An empty champagne or wine bottle
  • A roll of tape
  • Scissors
  • Colorful ribbon
  • Small candy bar of your choice

The first step is to place tape on each candy bar you’re going to put on the champagne or wine bottle. Start by sticking the candy on the bottle starting from the bottom to top, make sure the top candy touches the one beside it. When reaching the top of the bottle, glue each row a bit off beneath it so the candy bars overlap. Lastly, once you reached the top, add a bow and some curled ribbon hanging. Then finally  you have a beautiful Candy Christmas Tree, it’s perfect for your friend or family who loves chocolate

If you don’t want to make the whole tree, you can at least make the Snowman Ornament. https://www.pgeveryday.com/home/crafts/article/3-light-bulb-ornamentsThe tools you’ll need are:

• Regular Indoor Light Bulb
  • Adhesive spray
  • Glitter
  • Dry stick from outside
  • 10 inch piece of Ribbon
  • Hot Glue
  • Toothpick
  • Black and Orange craft paint

You start it off with painting the light bulb white, then paint light bulb until it’s fully covered. When light bulb is dry spray it with adhesive spray and cover it with glitter. Next, break the stick into two pieces for the snowman’s arms and hot glue on either side of the bulb. Lastly, use the point of a toothpick, paint the dots for the eyes, mouth, buttons, and carrot nose. There are two other Christmas light bulb ornaments if you want more options!

If you aren’t feeling super crafty, but enjoy baking, here’s a Christmas Cookie recipe from Kaya Collins-Hill, a student here at SCPA.

❖Ingredients:

½ cup sugar

¾ cup brown sugar, packed

1 teaspoon salt

½ cup butter, melted

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1¼ cups all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

4 ounces red and green semi-sweet chocolate chips

About 2 ounces white and/or regular semi sweet chocolate chips

Christmas sprinkles – Candy Cane Hershey Kisses

Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, salt, and butter until a smooth paste has formed. Whisk in the egg and vanilla, beating until light ribbons fall off the whisk.  Use a rubber spatula to mix in the flour and baking soda, being careful not to over mix the batter. Fold in the chocolate chips evenly, then chill the dough for at least 45 minutes (for better flavor and color) Scoop the dough with a small spoon onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, leaving at least 4 inches of space between cookies and 2 inches of space from the edges of the pan so that the cookies can spread evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have started to barely brown. Once they’re out of the oven let them cool for about 20 minutes before beginning to decorate. Start by adding your sprinkles where you’d like them, then add your Hershey’s kisses in the middle of each cookie. (optional: cool the cookies in the fridge after adding the Hershey’s kisses to ensure they don’t melt).

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

School/Community

CALIFORNIA CATCHES ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Opinion/Editorial

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Features

YOUTUBER STRIKES CONTROVERSY

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Majors

SCPA LYRICAL: A NEW CREATIVE WRITING PUBLICATION

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

School/Community

PEOPLE ARE ‘CHILLIN’ FOR WINTER BREAK

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

School/Community

HOMECOMING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Features

ALUMNUS JAMES MASLOW PAYS A VISIT TO SCPA

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

School/Community

ASB REVAMPS COFFEE HOUSE

• SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

Features

JYP ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES A NEW SURVIVAL TRAINEE SHOW

SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS