MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

Cali Naranjo and Ruth Lubao

The recent kidnapping of 2 minors shocks all of Round Rock, Texas, and families in the area are deeply worried.

In 80% of all kidnappings by strangers, the first contact between the abductor and victim are normally within a quarter mile from the victim’s home. 23,000 kids are abducted by a family member each year. Not only young children, but teens and young adults need to be aware of their surroundings and to stray away from dangerous situations.

The mom of these two girls was a patient care technician. However, after her mysterious death on New Year’s Eve, the two daughters were taken from their home by an unknown suspect. An amber alert was issued for the 7 and 14 year old girls. State and federal law enforcement are doing their best to track the kidnapper and rescue them. The main person of interest was the mother’s previous roommate, Terry Allen Miles. Though the relationship between Miles and Bates’ family was unknown, he had been to jail countless of times in the past.

Physical Education teacher, Scott Hopgood shared some thoughts he had on this unpleasant news. “The mom probably put too much trust in the roommate,” Hopgood states. Since Hopgood has daughters of his own, he claims he would feel highly uncomfortable bringing an older male into their home. He conveys how the mother’s intentions are questionable, due to the unknown relationship between the roommate and the children.

Hopgood was asked what he would do to prevent a kidnapping and explained that, “You have to educate the kids of where the safe areas are and not to put them in situations where they are vulnerable.” Hopgood expressed how important it is to keep your homes safe, especially when families have young children. If he were to see a kidnapping occur, or see children uncomfortable with an adult, he would ask “Hey are you kids okay?” “If I see distress on the kids faces, I would talk to the potential kidnapper and handle the situation myself,” Hopgood reported.

Mathematics teacher, Georgia Moore, described this information about the kidnapping quite disturbing just to think that Bates had let someone into her home without knowing him well enough. “How can you prevent a kidnapping? It really starts with the parents themselves. Especially single parents,” Moore explained. Moore stated that she would need to be legally married to the man before letting them into her home with her children.

“I would call 911 as quickly as I could,” Moore said when she was asked if she saw a kidnapping going down.“I would make sure I wrote down the license plate and I’d try to see their face. I wouldn’t do anything stupid like trying to run after them with a gun, but anything besides that.” Moore understands the importance of preventing kidnapping.

We informed Sophomore, Taliyah Rainey, the statistics of the amount of children that get taken each day and she states, “That information makes me feel unsafe because I can be apart of those 2,000 children.” Rainey suggests that for teens and kids to stay safe, they should stay inside or have a travel/safety buddy. “I think you should still be cautious in an environment you think is safe because no neighborhood is safe,” Rainey claims.

Harmony Hernandez, a sophomore student here at SCPA was not aware about how many children that are abducted every day. Hernandez recommends to, keep their cell phone on and keep in touch with their parents, when they are out. Hernandez’s parents have reminded her to never share personal information or place where she attends school on social media.

Harmony Hernandez, on the phone, reminding everyone to let your parents know where you are.

The police are still investigating the case of this kidnapping, trying their best to find the girls.  It is important to stay safe and always be aware of the environment and surroundings.

Hernandez and Rainey walking together, a good idea when you are in a crowded space

Sophomores, Rainey and Hernandez holding up a poster to be cautious

As featured image, Rainey is proudly showing a poster to be safe!

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

School/Community

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

Majors

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

• MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK