WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Charlie Craig and David Mullins have decided to take their lawsuit against discrimination of LGBT rights to the Supreme Court. Philip, defending himself stated that he was exercising his first amendment, right of protecting his free exercise of religion. This also marks the first time the government has asked the justices to make an exception from an anti-discrimination law.

Craig and Mullins, along with his future mother in law, paid a visit to Jack Phillips’ Masterpiece Cake Shop in hopes of ordering a cake for their reception ceremony. Philips informed them that they did not sell wedding cakes for same-sex marriages due to his religious beliefs, but offered to sell other things at his shops such as birthday cakes and cookies, unfortunately, Craig and Mullins left upset and decided to take it to court. On June 27, 2017, the Supreme Court heard the case.

The Trump administration leaned toward Philips, suggesting that cake shops could place a sign in their windows stating, “we do not bake cakes for gay weddings,” as long as the cakes were custom made. Justice Kennedy, however, leaned more toward Craig and Mullins, expressing a concern for an, “affront to the gay community.” The Justices also feared that if the case was to side with Philips, it would diminish the landmark ruling in the 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges case, where the right of marriage was guaranteed to same-sex couples.

Later on in the court, Neil Gorsuch, known for his taking part of the major gay rights cases since he joined the Supreme Court, asked a series of hypothetical questions such as whether a baker who made a cake in the shape of a red cross in order to celebrate relief efforts, would also be forced to make the same cake for a member of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK).  The Liberty Union’s David Cole said no, due to Colorado’s anti-discrimination law, protecting race, sex and, sexual orientation, not members of the KKK.

Justice Samuel Alito also pointed out that in 2012, same-sex marriage was not legal in the state of Colorado. They could not have obtained a marriage license or gotten a local official to marry them, but them saying that Philips “committed a wrong grave,” he says, is simply unfair.

In the near future, if the court sides for Philips, businesses in his same boat would officially be allowed to respectfully turn down customers belonging to the LGBT community due to their religious beliefs. If the court sides for Craig and Mullins, however, businesses would not be allowed to turn down any customers due to any personal beliefs.

Cake bakers expressing their love for the LGBT community backed Craig and Mullins by serving an Equality Event at the Union Market in Washington D.C. Several cakes displayed flowers in the colors of the Pride flag. Their message was that everyone’s opinion is to be respected and that all should eat cake. Just before the argument, the streets lined with protestors. Those who supported Philips held signs stating, “We got Jack’s back,” and “Free the cake baker.” Those protesting for Craig and Mullins held signs stating, “Love wins.” and “Open to ALL.” We asked students and teachers from SCPA of their opinion if what Philip did was discriminating or was the right thing to do.

Raul Lopez, a junior, personally thought it was discrimination, “You are refusing service on someone behalf of your religion.” But also stated that Philips has the right to refuse service to anyone, “Afterall it is his workplace, it wouldn’t be such a big deal since he did offer to make other things except wedding cakes.” It can be understood from both sides of the story. Philips can be considered in the wrong for excluding the couple based on their sexual orientation. However, these actions could also be considered acceptable because he was practicing his religion. It was a split between discrimination and practice of religion.

Raul Lopez, 11th grade

We asked Ms. Georgia Moore, a high school math teacher, who said regarding Craig and Mullins, “If it goes against their belief system, I would still love them…, but I think it would be kind of mean to make them go against their own beliefs.” She believes that everyone should be equally respected and loved, but stands with Philips.

Ms.Georgia Moore

The Supreme Court hasn’t shown any evident siding and the Justices are clearly torn between the decision, which will be decided in late June.

About the Writer
Catherine Mozo, Student Journalist
Catherine has been a student at SCPA for seven years now, and she loves script writing and poetry format. She was student journalist in SCPA’s The Production in 2014 and is now returning in writing for the school. She hopes to get into UCSD or USD majoring in Pre-nursing but will still continue her interest...
  • WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

THE ANTHROPOCENE IS UPON US

• Opinion/Editorial

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.2)

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

MENTAL ILLNESS AND GUN VIOLENCE: CORRELATION≠CAUSATION

• Opinion/Editorial

Good Vs Bad Anime

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

WHICH IS THE BEST GIRL SCOUT COOKIE?

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

THE LIFE AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF ERICA GARNER

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

• WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

Opinion/Editorial

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL