PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Bella Nazur and Jeremy Nuno

This year’s Golden Globes seem to have brought more awareness to serious social issues on the stage, but did it leave anything behind?

Unlike many other popular awards shows, The Golden Globes has never been a place to make a political statement. In previous years, it was known more for its snarky commentary than its political prowess.

This year’s Golden Globes have redefined this. They adopted a serious tone because of its black-clad participants, who wore the color  in support of the men and women who had the courage to speak in support of movements like Times Up and #MeToo.

Women were particularly vocal throughout the ceremony, taking advantage of it and the stage it offered. Oprah, after receiving and accepting the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime award, gave a ten minute speech praising #MeToo and spoke about sexual harassment. It inspired people and they encouraged her to run for the next presidential term.

Reese Witherspoon thanked abuse victims that gained courage to speak out as she accepted an award for the mini series Big Little Lies. In the same speech, Witherspoon promised abuse victims she would tell their story. Nothing like this had happened before on the stage of the Golden Globes.

Although there wasn’t much commentary from male celebrities, some stood out. Milo Ventimiglia, star of This Is Us, said “a spotlight has been shined on a very, very horrible problem and injustice to women in general.” Another man, Mark Ruffalo, offered his reason for wearing black despite not attending the Golden Globes. Everyone wore black, except a few people who received heavy criticism, yet for some the sentiment fell flat.

“It’s a load of bull.” said Gwyn Torio, SCPA sophomore. “If anyone at the Golden Globes truly wanted to do something then they should have dropped the whole thing.”

Torio didn’t have anything positive to say on the matter. She was angry and offended; according to her, this [The Golden Globes]  hadn’t changed anything.

Despite the controversy that surrounded the event, the participants broadcasted their political views. Unfortunately, we have no idea if the use of a podium as a platform will remain in upcoming years.

About the Writer
Jeremy Nuno, Student Journalist
Jeremy Nuno is a tenth-grade Creative Writing major who attends SCPA. He appreciates the freedom to express yourself at SCPA and the caring and compassionate teachers. He values Journalism because it gives you a chance to report on things that other people may not know about, but want to. His plans for the future are...
  • PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

THE ANTHROPOCENE IS UPON US

• Opinion/Editorial

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.2)

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

MENTAL ILLNESS AND GUN VIOLENCE: CORRELATION≠CAUSATION

• Opinion/Editorial

Good Vs Bad Anime

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

WHICH IS THE BEST GIRL SCOUT COOKIE?

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

THE LIFE AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF ERICA GARNER

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

• PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

Opinion/Editorial

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM