DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

Kaylee Lafon and Catherine Mozo

https://www.sandiegounified.org/schools/sites/default/files_link/schools/files//schools/school_of_creative_and_performing_arts_%28scpa%29/SCPA%20LYRICAL%20Fall%202017-2018.pdf.

Introducing SCPA Lyrical, a semester-based literary magazine for high school creative writing majors here at the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. Thanks to Susie Strasser, some of the senior creative writing majors, Edward Estrada, Kaylee LaFon, and Perla Limon, were able to create a literary magazine specifically for creative writers to get their works published. The schoolwide anthology for creative writing and visual arts Inscribe is still an option, however, this gives high school creative writers another opportunity to be published.

Edward Estrada 12th editor of lyrical

Kaylee Lafon 12th Editor of Lyrical

Writers like Michelle Solis, Cathlyn Denise Serrano, Alaysia Spruill, Elena Gonzales, Lyka Luzano, Isabella Nazur, Wesley Jalipa, Ahnayah Hughes, JD Obedicen, Jenny-Angeline Corpuz, Rahan Cadence, Isabella Miller, and Sage Clements all submitted poetry or short story pieces that are included in this semester’s edition of SCPA Lyrical. The magazine will only be online and can now be found on the SCPA school website under the Student tab for free!

Lyrical is now accepting second semester submissions with new requirements and features! This semester, all submissions must be sent to [email protected] through Google Docs only. Lyrical will also be accepting scripts with a six page maximum. The maximum page count for short stories is now four pages and for poems is two pages. Writers can choose to give an explanation of their piece, describing their process in writing it, why they wrote, what their intent was, or what the piece means to them.

Perla Limon 12th Editor of Lyrical

Also being included in the next edition of Lyrical will be a Writers’ Tips Corner. This will be a small section where editors and writers, if they choose to submit, will give readers tips to improve their writing or temporarily cure their writer’s block. There will also be the start of Featured Writer, where each semester the editors will choose a single writer to have a feature page based on the pieces submitted. Lastly, there will be a section for the contributors to answer a few questions such as, “What was the last piece you read?” Or “What was your last Google search?”

This is an amazing opportunity for writers to be recognized and published because it looks great on college resumes and is a chance for writers to improve their works. A  big thank you goes to Ms. Strasser for making it all possible, and another humongous thank you to our seniors Edward, Kaylee, and Perla for putting in all of the effort and creativity to publish this magazine. They’ve done everything from coming up with the name, editing the pieces, designing the layout, and brainstorming new ideas and features to improve upon it and make it challenging yet fun for the upcoming creative writing seniors.

Susie Strasser

About the Writer
Catherine Mozo, Student Journalist
Catherine has been a student at SCPA for seven years now, and she loves script writing and poetry format. She was student journalist in SCPA’s The Production in 2014 and is now returning in writing for the school. She hopes to get into UCSD or USD majoring in Pre-nursing but will still continue her interest...
  • DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

School/Community

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

• DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

School/Community

CALIFORNIA CATCHES ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL