MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

Samantha Pearce and Ruth Lubao

The Death Cure, a part of the film series of the Maze Runner, was released on January 26th. It was scheduled to air on February 17th but was postponed due to the acting main character, Dylan O’Brien, being in a tragic car accident.

This movie is rated PG-13 due to the inappropriate language for younger viewers, however there was not as much profanity as anticipated; though the action may be a little intense for children. The running time for The Death Cure is 142 minutes. It contains the genres of Science Fiction, Drama, Fantasy, and Action/Adventure.

Some action scenes that had us on the edge of our seat, and gripping tightly onto our popcorns is when Thomas, Newt, and Fry Pan build up the courage to drive through a dark tunnel, unbeknownst that there will be many zombies ready to attack. The final action scene tied the whole movie together and allowed the audience’s eyes to never look away from the screen. The hollywood effects created impressive scenes filled with explosions and well constructed sound effects. The stunts of the actors gave a “WOW” factor, such as when Thomas, Minho, and Newt jumped out the window, and landed in the fountain. The hardcore action based scenes were unexpected and left the audience with their jaws dropped.

The first part of the series called, The Maze Runner, premiered in 2014 where as The Scorch Trials came out in 2015. In The Maze Runner, the gladers were attempting to escape the maze, built by WCKD.  In The Scorch Trials, the group of friends arrive at the desert, meeting new people to align with to destroy WCKD’s evil plan. They have to endure through many obstacles in the place called the Scorch filled with infected cranks (zombies).

In the beginning, the remaining gladers try to rescue their friend Minho from being experimented on by WCKD to help find a cure for the deadly virus, the flare. The thrilling action and suspenseful music built up tension and had the audience at the edge of their seat as the gladers race to find their friend in need.

They strategize a plan to sneak into the WCKD’s headquarters with the surprising help of an old friend. The group of friends battled to save each other from Jansen and Ava and the rest of the troubles that came their way.

Despite the fact that this movie is based more off of action, there are many scenes that will pull on the heartstrings. In the very last scene, Thomas received a letter from Newt and it discussed how he wanted him to move on, the nostalgic memories of past gladers, and wants Thomas and others to be happy.

The box office has received 41,782,702 million dollars for Death Cure, according to Rotten Tomatoes, earning back their $62 million from the production budget . It is featured in the top 10 movie listings. While there are 5 books in the total series of the Maze Runner, The Death Cure will be the last move to premiere.

Sophomore, David Atieza, enjoyed the movie. “I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy”, he said. He also stated how he was very intrigued while watching the film.” He claims that the exciting action scenes had him on the edge of his seat. They caught Atienza by surprise and the acting as well, had impressed him. Atieza also viewed the other two previous movies, however prefers The Death Cure more.

David Atienza, giving a thumbs up for the movie

Atienza’s movie ticket

Like Atienza, Lisett Serrano also liked the movie. She said the previous and recent movies connected with the books. “It was very suspenseful. It was like I had to keep my eyes on the screen,” Serrano expressed. She also watched the previous movies, and indicated that she enjoyed the second movie and book more.

Serrano checking into movie reviews of The Death Cure

However, Carina Arce, discussed how she was not a big fan of the movie. “It was an okay film. I feel like they could’ve done a lot better. It was also overhyped,” Arce conveyed. She also told us that she fell asleep during the film. She also saw the previous films, and enjoyed the first one more than the rest because it was more suspenseful and thrilling.

In the end, the movie conveyed friendship and sacrifice through scenes which made viewers understand the concept of appreciation and love for friends and family.

About the Writers
Samantha Pearce, Student Journalist
Born and raised in San Diego, Samantha Pearce always enjoyed the blissfully cold waves hitting her feet as she admires the sunsets. Usually, you can hear her say some type of sassy and ignorant comment towards her friends, but she loves her friends more than she loves herself. Being an introvert, she learned to let...
Ruth Lubao, Student Journalist
    Ruth Lubao is a sophomore who has been attending SCPA since 7th grade. She is currently majoring in Creative Writing. She’s noticed how far along her writing has progressed and hopes to gradually take her pieces to the next level each school year. She enjoys how there are various forms of art many people...
  • MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

School/Community

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

Majors

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

• MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

School/Community

CALIFORNIA CATCHES ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW