WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

Getty Images

Getty Images

Arielle Santos, Student Journalist

On February 14th, a tragic school shooting took place in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, resulting in the death of 17 students. This event struck passion in SCPA students and others across the nation to take action against gun violence. Hayden Clark and Charlee Berlin pitched the idea of organizing a walkout to take place on Wednesday, March 14th beginning at 11 a.m. at the circle in the sun.

The purpose of the event is to peacefully demonstrate support for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and gun safety in schools. Within the 35 minutes of the protest, there will be 17 minutes of silence to honor the 17 students who lost their life that day. The event will also feature the written work of students, whether that’d be a speech or a poem, to express our thoughts through our art.

“This past week, I invited interested students to assemble a peaceful demonstration leadership team,” said Principal Timothy Farson. Staff will be outside to support students who wish to participate and ensure that it is a respectful event. Participation is optional, so teachers will be in their classrooms with activities for those who choose not to go, and to take in anyone who is disruptive.

If you’re planning to participate in this event, be sure to wear maroon, one of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s school colors, to show your support for the victims of the shooting.

After the event is over, ASB will be facilitating booths throughout lunch at the Circle in the Sun for students to make cards for the victims of the shooting, pre-register to vote, and more!

“We respect and support the right of our students to advocate for causes that are important to them and welcome the opportunity to work with any student or student group to discuss appropriate and creative ways to do so while at school,” Farson states.

Change will only happen if we do something about what we believe in. We hope that you will all attend this very meaningful event with an open mind.

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

Majors

SCPA’S JAZZ ENSEMBLES SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT AT DIZZY’S

• School/Community

STIGMATIZATION OF MENTAL ILLNESS

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

School/Community

SPRING BREAK SHINES UPON US

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

School/Community

ASB BALL IS SNEAKING UP

• School/Community

WHAT IS KAIBIGANG [email protected]’S HIGH SCHOOL CONFERENCE

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

Majors

DEBUT OF SCPA LYRICAL

• Features

“A CHORUS LINE” DEBUTS AT SCPA

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

Features

A SKATE FOR A CAUSE

• WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?

School/Community

CALIFORNIA CATCHES ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE WALKOUT?