OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Kaylee LaFon, Student Journalist

Just like a teenager, pop culture goes through many phases.

Whether it be some seven second video we praise as Vines or a poll going around on whether you pour your milk or your cereal first, media is overtaken by one thing until we get bored and move on to the next trend. Let’s talk about a few of the shows and movies that took over everyone’s lives and if they were even worth it.

Rated S for Spoilers!

To start off, how about we talk about the show that took over every high school across the U.S.; Thirteen Reasons Why.

This Netflix series was talked about all over social media either with trigger warnings or a “welcome to your tape” meme. With it’s soon-arriving season two, it’s still in question whether it’s worth the binge.

While the show did provide a good comeback for when your friend doesn’t share their food, not everyone was very pleased with its content. The show revolved around Hannah Baker, a girl who had left cassette tapes in place of a suicide note. The main topic of the show was teenage bullying, however it also scratched the surface of self-harm, drunk driving, and rape. Many believed that it was too graphic of a series with its scenes of nonconsensual sex and suicide. Despite the realistic and gruesome depictions, many people also believed that this show lacked the true depth and complexity of suicidal thoughts and depression.

In a group interview, a senior student here at SCPA, Cielo, said, “It doesn’t even go that much into depth. … It just talked about drama, there wasn’t even, like, ways to prevent it. … It was problematic.” As the group continued discussing the simplicity of the show, McKenzie Richard made a valid point that “it got people talking about it and that was the point.” However, Addy Martinez believed “it was more of an encouragement than anything else because when you don’t provide ways to prevent it, people will automatically just go on the other end and continue it.”

The show definitely did stir up controversy, and maybe that was the point. It got the topic of teenage depression, bullying, and suicide in the minds of those with any access to social media.

Next up on the list is Fifty Shades of Grey, the steamy romance that high schoolers probably had to sneak into due to being underage and definitely not wanting to see it with their mom. The series released its third installment, Fifty Shades Freed, just this year in February.

The not-safe-for-work movie definitely got plenty of hype when it first hit theaters. It continued on getting that attention when it released the rest of the trilogy. Maybe it was because people are drawn to drama and romance, maybe it was because people had read the books, or maybe it was because of the controversial topic of nontraditional sex. Due to it being a bit of a raunchy and inappropriate topic, I won’t go too far into depth.

The film followed a girl, Anastasia Steele, straight out of college who meets a prestigious businessman, Christian Grey, when she is interviewing him. Long story short, they end up in a relationship based around doing the dirty in taboo ways. While many can agree that the film series was a bit awkward to watch in theaters, there are plenty of people who love going to see it for dates, single’s night, or in support of the novels.

In my group interview, there were two girls who absolutely loved the books, one of them saying how “the books were amazing. Flawlessly written.” This started a bit of a debate between the two and another student who said the writing was completely immature.

Though, some just like the many different jokes that come with it like any trend.

And last for right now, we have Supernatural, the CW television series that made almost-forty-year-old men fighting off spirits and demons look hot.

The show follows the Winchester brothers who take after their father in handling supernatural beings. Along the way, they meet all kinds of different characters, some that manage to stick around, such as Castiel (a literal angel).

After debuting in 2005, Supernatural is still pushing out seasons with dedicated fans. They’re on their thirteenth season and it isn’t even their last. Even I fell in love with the characters and plotline of the show in my first years of high school. However, once the show hit its eleventh season, some people did get a little bored. They disconnected from the show after that because of the seemingly forced storyline. A student at SCPA explained this as, “They start off good in the first season and then just go downhill because they get cocky and think, ‘Oh, we´re so good, we can do whatever we want.’”

So, why is it that these shows get so much attention? Clearly, they have aspects that people don’t seem to enjoy, however people continue to promote it. While Mckenzie believes this is because of their funding, another student within the interview believes “it’s because certain things revolve around political themes. Like, bullying. And Black Panther has to do with, you know like, empowerment for African Americans. Wonder Woman has to do with empowerment [for] women. It’s like [what’s in the] political atmosphere that we have currently.”

Will you be watching?

• Opinion/Editorial

Good Vs Bad Anime

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE REVIEW

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

WHICH IS THE BEST GIRL SCOUT COOKIE?

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

THE LIFE AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF ERICA GARNER

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

PODIUM IS NOW A PLATFORM

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

WEDDING CAKE SCANDAL

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

MISFORTUNE REACHES ROUND ROCK

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

NET NEUTRALITY: MONETIZING THE INTERNET

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

SIX DO-IT-YOURSELF CHRISTMAS GIFTS

• OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)

Opinion/Editorial

Prayers at the Circle of the Sun

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.1)