OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.2)

Kaylee LaFon, Student Journalist

What did the teenage moon say to her mom?

It’s not just a phase!

Anyways… Welcome back to another edition of overrated shows and movies! Last time we went over the Netflix hit Thirteen Reasons Why, the long-running CW television series Supernatural, and the raunchy movie series Fifty Shades. Now, queued up for Spring, we have some of the most popular superheroes and investigators.

Rated S for Spoilers!

With a release date of April 23 this year, Avengers: Infinity War has captured the attention of every comic and movie fan nearby.

The franchise has previous movies such as The Avengers (2012) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) that have gotten Marvel a substantial following. Whether it’s the blend of comedy and action or the combination of many superheroes in one movie, the Avengers is no doubt a profitable series that many people are excited to watch. But just like the superheroes in their films, Marvel has enemies.

In a group interview at SCPA, students trailed off on the topic of the well-known rival, DC Comics. Instead of focusing solely on the fast-approaching edition to the Avengers series, students discussed the importance of the contrasting material. One student triggered the conversation with the statement, “DC has better comics, Marvel has better movies.” The group all agreed on this, explaining how DC may have more serious topics, but Marvel has stronger production value along with the casting of prominent actors.

So, is this the reason the Avengers series is so successful? The Marvel movies have a collection of exceptional cinematography and well-known celebrities like Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Chadwick Boseman, and three of the most famous Chris’s: Evans, Hemsworth, and Pratt. Or is it really the content that gets viewers invested?

Another student within the interview didn’t necessarily agree with that being the cause of fame as they declared, “Marvel is becoming more childish because it’s apart of Disney now.” She continued on with the subject matter being shaped for a child audience. However, not all of the Marvel comics are family-friendly.

For example, Deadpool, the man with the abilities of a superhero and the mouth of a villain.

In the small collection of Rated-R comic book superhero movies, Deadpool made one of the biggest splashes in pop culture. With actor Ryan Reynolds back to reinvent the Deadpool displayed in one of the X-Men movies, his crude humor and disguised pretty face easily gained a grand audience.

Based off of the Marvel comics, Deadpool is a movie following a pained man who hides his struggle with an immature sense of humor and armored bodysuit. In this movie, it’s actually a big question to whether or not Deadpool is truly a superhero or just an ex-mercenary and cancer survivor with an epic immunity after being unbearably tortured. After watching the film, it’s quite obvious that he didn’t want to save lives as he literally took them for quick cash. He couldn’t exactly be considered a superhero, villain, or civilian. The only thing he can really be labeled as is popular.

The series is set to come out with their sequel Deadpool 2 on May 18 and after two years, fans are still buzzing with excitement. Though, there are some students at SCPA that are still skeptical of the direction of the series. One felt as though the producers focused too much on the joking rather than the true storyline and development of the character. Viewers are ready for the sequel, but are scared of the outcome.

Another nail-biter that’s currently consuming pop culture is Riverdale with a record of 2.3 million people tuning in.

Another series based off of comic books, Riverdale follows Archie Andrews and his pursuit for a life with sports and spotlights. The show also follows his friends Veronica, Betty, and Jughead.

The first riveting season featured Archie and his many relationships, Betty and Jughead’s investigation on the murder of Jason Blossom, and Veronica’s reinvention of who she is. This mysterious drama includes many cliffhangers, leaving the viewers dying to see more. As it had a small first season of only 13 episodes, fans were happy to learn their second season would have and additional nine episodes. So far, the show has aired up to season 2 episode 18, and has scheduled up to episode 20 on the CW.

It’s in question whether or not the show deserves the hype as there are still plenty of people who can’t get into the drama-packed storyline. Though, it’s not debatable whether or not the show has plenty of attention.

Will you be watching?

OVERRATED SHOWS AND MOVIES (pt.2)